Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

Next

Goggle+

Goggle+

Postby Kellym » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Hello Capt'n John,

I was wondering if you were going to venture into Google+? I must admit I'm a bit frustrated with all of the changes of Facebook. I am hoping Google+ might be more stable.

Thank you.

Kelly Montgomery
View My TQS Profile
Kellym

Re: Goggle+

Postby JOHNANDERSON » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 am

We are looking at ways to make our communication on TQS much better. We have considered Google+, but it is still in Beta testing. I'm not sure how it works with private sites. We really feel that as fun as Facebook can be, it can also be overwhelming. We hope to have a way to make it easier to communicate but keep it quilting oriented and quilting friend oriented. I actually just joined Google+ 2 days ago to try it out. However, as Margo knows, I am bad at following these interactions so I'm not the best test subject. We will keep you posted.

Our goal right now is to have a new site up by January 1 and have the communication improvements start at the same time.
Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco
View My TQS Profile
JOHNANDERSON

Postby Margo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Kellym wrote:Hello Capt'n John,

I was wondering if you were going to venture into Google+? I must admit I'm a bit frustrated with all of the changes of Facebook. I am hoping Google+ might be more stable.

Thank you.

Kelly Montgomery

Kelly, you might enjoy the quilting community right here on the forum! There are lots of topics and it's a great source of information and inspiration.
Last edited by Margo on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !
View My TQS Profile
Margo

Postby Margo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:16 pm

I also signed up for Google+, but like Capt'n John, I'm not good about keeping up with it. I'll just hang out here at our friendly forum!

I just feel like "what happens on the forum, stays on the forum". Those social websites....not so much! I feel safe here.

View My TQS Profile
Margo

Postby Kellym » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:22 pm

I have noticed the postings on Facebook and have enjoyed them. The Forum I tend to use only for Q&A. And more to my Q and your A. I must admit I find the forum difficult to travel through. I am not sure why yet, but when I figure out why I will share.
Computers can be wonderful and then not so wonderful.

Thank you.

Kelly
View My TQS Profile
Kellym

Postby Margo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:38 pm

If you need help navigating the TQS forum, you might find some of these tips helpful: viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4275

In the meantime, you will find more personal sharing on the TQS Member Blogs link: http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/myblog.php

View My TQS Profile
Margo

Postby PosyP » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:03 am

I don't have facebook yet and am un decided if I really need it. As Margo says it feels safe here and although the gossip is nearly all quilt orentated, we do occasionally stray OT for fun. I have to admit that one button I would like to see is a 'Do you want to chat?' button for when we see one of our friends on line at the same time as ourselves, and we could click it, get a response,and then head over to one of the chat rooms, for a real time natter.

Embroideress Extrordinaire & Mad Hatter
View My TQS Profile
PosyP

Postby djane » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:47 am

I like this forum better than FB. I just enter the forum and click on unread posts. I find it easy to keep up that way.
View My TQS Profile
djane

Postby Reetzbobeetz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:26 pm

I de-activaved my facebook account because it was annoying me so much - too much information from vaguely connected people. I don't really either want or need to know what my friends/family are doing every waking moment of the day. I like the TQS forum because it is easy to navigate once you get the hang of it. And also we are all people with common interests and because of this the topics tend to stay within the areas of interest and the advice that we can pass on to each other is really worthwhile.

Rita.
View My TQS Profile
Reetzbobeetz

Postby MontanaGramma » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:57 pm

I think if we had a place right here on TQS that was a little like Facebook, it would be great! Most of my Facebook friends are TQSers and it is so nice to check in or post a picture or whatever without typing a whole blog. I like the Forum too but it based on topics where Facebook is a bit like chatting over coffee with my friends. And with these latest Facebook changes, I think I'm about ready to be done that site.
View My TQS Profile
MontanaGramma

Postby fiquilts » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17 am

I use Facebook mostly to keep up with my kids and grandkids, plus a few others. I don't post much, either on this forum or FB, but that doesn't mean I don't read them. Fi
View My TQS Profile
fiquilts

Postby LadyRags » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Just hide anyone on FB that does not UN-FRIEND THEM --and if you want you can find them by looking at your friends list. I only view my family and close friends.
Another alternative is to have TWO face-book pages... one for friends and family .... the other for quilt friends / and other interest groups.
View My TQS Profile
LadyRags

Postby Sewdreamy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:31 pm

JOHNANDERSON wrote:We are looking at ways to make our communication on TQS much better. We have considered Google+, but it is still in Beta testing. I'm not sure how it works with private sites. We really feel that as fun as Facebook can be, it can also be overwhelming. We hope to have a way to make it easier to communicate but keep it quilting oriented and quilting friend oriented. I actually just joined Google+ 2 days ago to try it out. However, as Margo knows, I am bad at following these interactions so I'm not the best test subject. We will keep you posted.

Our goal right now is to have a new site up by January 1 and have the communication improvements start at the same time.

I think this is very exciting. I think FB is just too overwhelming like you said. Looking forward to the new site. :D
"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
View My TQS Profile
Sewdreamy

Postby Suewarby » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:30 am

I have allways been a scardey cat about Facebook and have never tried it , I like the Forum and the blogs on TQS and do not feel the need to go
futher so anything that improves on the way we communicate on TQS will be great I feel safe in this community .
Yn Harddwch Gogledd Cymru
View My TQS Profile
Suewarby

Postby Reetzbobeetz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:58 am

Every time I see the heading on this topic it reminds me of my mother who refers to surfing the net as "Goggling on her lapdog". It's Google not Goggle! :lol:
View My TQS Profile
Reetzbobeetz

Next

Return to Just Capt’n John