Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

Applique very small pieces

Postby overjoy25 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:33 am

I have a pattern for a grouping of several Sun Bonnet Sue's that are only 6 inches tall. It will be a picture that I thought I would frame. The directions for the pattern say to use the applique technique of my choice. I haven't done applique for a long time (and that's only been in class--nothing on my own til now!) and don't know what to do. The hands and shoes are very small. I thought if I just fused the patterns down with raw edges it would be okay, but do I want to finish the edges? Would you just fuse everything and not worry about the raw edges? Or would you buttonhole stitch/zig zag around the larger pieces only and not worry about the smaller pieces. OR should I just needle-turn everything and not fuse anything. If I fuse, can I still have turned-under edges and what weight fuseable should I use? I hope someone can help me figure out what to do because I really want this to turn out nice for a present. :?
View My TQS Profile
overjoy25

Postby kimber » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:06 pm

I'd fuse it with raw edges and use a very thin zig zag, buttonhole, or some other decorative stitch to sew around the edges of the small pieces. I just finished a top with a lot of pieces of applique - none as small as it sounds like yours is. I fused all the pieces down, then used the stitch that looks like |_|_|_|_| for the largest piece and used varying widths of buttonhole stitch for the other pieces.

Good luck!
View My TQS Profile
kimber

Postby MontanaGramma » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:15 am

If you are going to frame it, you don't need to sew around the appliques unless you want to. I just worked on one yesterday that had a lot of small pieces. I did a straight stitch around some of the pieces, esp. the really small ones like the faces, hands and feet and did a buttonhole stitch around the bigger ones. It is a Christmas wall hanging that I am giving as a gift, so I thought that all the pieces should be sewn down as it will stored every year. I procrastinated for months about this project because I wasn't sure if I would like using two different types of applique, but it turned out really nice.
View My TQS Profile
MontanaGramma

Postby MontanaGramma » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:17 am

P.S. I did raw edge fusing and used Heat & Bond Light - which is my favorite item for doing applique.
View My TQS Profile
MontanaGramma

Postby overjoy25 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:55 am

Thanks so much for your help. I think I can approach this project knowing more now than when I first decided to make the picture. Thanks. :D
View My TQS Profile
overjoy25

Return to Hand and Machine Applique