Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

Quilt block carrier

Quilt block carrier

Postby mandysilk » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:07 am

Ok, I had a brainstorm today and I need to pick some other people's brains to see if I have really hit on something or not. I have been hand peicing blocks for the first time in a while. (see the Dear Janiacs under Finding time for a description of how I have been prepping blocks) Well, The other day I was working on peicing while the girls were in ballet and I was having a heck of a time. It seemed everything was getting throughly mixed up in my baggies and I spent more time finding peices and getting them set right to sew than I was actually sewing :evil:

Fast forward to last night - Dh was cleaning out a closet. First he found the old puzzle roller (BIG sheet of felt you wrap around a cylendrical balloon), which I have used in the past to store a particularly difficult large medallian block while I peiced it. I thought to myself this might be something to use, but quickly figured it is just too big. Then he found felt I had left over from dd's halloween costume a few years ago. Hmmmm...

This morning it hit me. I took the felt and peiced the scraps together until I had a peice about 18x22. I layered it with a fat quarter right sides together and sewed around three sides, turned right side out, and closed the hole. Pressed and did a little over edge treatment all the way around. I folded it in thirds, then folded that in half, made some handles out of left over binding and put a button closure on it. Walla!!! I have a little felt design tote. I can pin the peices I am working on it just like a mini design wall in the order they need to be for my block. It folds small enough to fit in my purse and I currently have a 12" block layed out in it.

My guess is if you read this far you are interested at least somewhat, so here is my question. Has anyone seen anyone using anything like this before? I searched on Google and found a few references to block totes, but only one picture ,and that was a thing that just folded in half and was labled as an applique case. I'm just trying to find out if this is something I should maybe write up or sell.
View My TQS Profile
mandysilk

Postby ipquilter » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 am

Sounds like a very good idea, and easy to put together. Go with it!
Sherry
View My TQS Profile
ipquilter

Postby retiredgrandma5 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:30 am

Sounds great. I'll be one of your first customers!
View My TQS Profile
retiredgrandma5

Postby CindyBar » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:09 am

This is a really good idea. Will you post a picture of the item?
View My TQS Profile
CindyBar

Sounds great. I'd combine it with the Worm Binder

Postby QuilterLynn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 pm

The Worm Binder (I told about it a couple days ago if you want to SEARCH) and this would make a greaat pair! I like your flannel idea to lay it all out on. I'd been thinking of something like it myself!
Lynn, Houston
View My TQS Profile
QuilterLynn

Postby MargaritaW » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Mandy

Check out "Apple Blossom Quilts" She has a pattern for block caddy's. I have the pattern and it is for 3 sizes. I have really looked at it to see if it will work for what you are talking about? I want to make at least one. (But it will be a while before I do) looks interesting.

Margarita in Auburn
View My TQS Profile
MargaritaW

Postby MargaritaW » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:17 pm

Mandy

I forgot to put the web site (appleblossomquilts.com) sorry
View My TQS Profile
MargaritaW

Postby GloriaH » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:21 pm

Go for it Mandy. I think it's a good idea. Gloria
View My TQS Profile
GloriaH

Postby Lorchen » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:52 pm

I get takeaway pizza boxes (unused) if I need something to transport blocks in. Works a treat. :)

Lorchen
View My TQS Profile
Lorchen

Postby mandysilk » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:57 pm

I checked out the Apple Blossom site and looked at the caddy pattern. That one is really nice, but it seems to be more for carrying finished blocks and supplies. I didn't really see a design surface in it. What I am making is more like a portable felt board you can lay out a single block in progress on that then folds up small enough to fit in your purse. I probably do need to add some pockets to it too for holding thread, snips, and all the other stuff one needs. Thanks for pointing that site out to me though, that caddy has my head reeling with all new ideas :D
View My TQS Profile
mandysilk

Postby sandytn » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:17 am

Sounds like a neat idea. I cut multiple felt squares in various sizes from about 6" to 15". If I am working on a 10" block I will use my 12" felt squares, layout out several blocks, fold or roll each one up and keep in my bag where I carry my thread, thimble and scissors. The bag I currently use is a Bible cover I purchased at Walmart. It has a zipper front I use for embrodiery thread, scissors, thimble, etc. I put by felt blocks in the center zippered space where the Bible would fit. There are pockets on each side that hold the Bible that I use for patterns and other things. It has a handle and room for me to slip my billfold in so I don't have to carry my purse all the time. I am going to check out the worm binder. Looks like it would have a great area for spools of thread.
View My TQS Profile
sandytn

Ami Simms has something like this

Postby BethMI » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:03 am

Ami Simms has something like this at her website.

See http://amisimms.com/qupowo.html

BethMI
View My TQS Profile
BethMI

Quilt Block Carrier

Postby MAMA2TNT » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:35 am

Members of my quilt guild made some simple ones for new-member gifts one year. These are make of flannel-back tablecloth fabric. There are several "pages" sewn together on one end. they roll up and a ribbon is stitched on the outer page to wrap and tie around the roll. A checked tablecloth pattern is easiest for quick measuring and cutting.

Joyce in MI
View My TQS Profile
MAMA2TNT

Return to Tools and Toys