Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

Octi-Hoops

Octi-Hoops

Postby sugarmuffin57 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried the Octi Hoops, and if so, what they think of them. They make it look so easy. I need easy but not willing to spend that much money unless I know they work.
View My TQS Profile
sugarmuffin57

Re: Octi-Hoops

Postby PosyP » Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 am

I've just been to have a look at some of the advertising videos for the octi-hoop. They certainly look like a nice piece of kit. As a suggestion how about trying out the same idea using an embroidery ring frame under your quilt sandwich and try working with that, (if you have a smaller ring frame that sits inside even better, but you don't want to be framing the fabric up 'properly') If this technique works well for you then I would think that you would find the octi-hoop system good for you.

If you don't have any embroidery ring frames, you could go scavaging through a local clearance/charity/1 dollar store(?) and find a light-weight framed picture of about 8" or so (ideally 2 that nest) take the picture & glass out and try with that. This way you can try a version of the technique without much outlay up front, to see if it suits you. (If the frame is wide enough you could even try drilling a hole(s) in it that you could slip a nail or split pin into, which would give you an even more realistic try out).

Personally speaking, I would think that it works best if you have a reasonable sized table level with the bed of your sewing machine for the frames to rest on.

Embroideress Extrordinaire & Mad Hatter
View My TQS Profile
PosyP

Postby idaho » Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am

I also looked over the ad videos ....and am reminded of Nancy Prince's methods of thread painting. I see some
similarity and agree with Rosemary that you can try out these methods by being a bit inventive with tools
at hand....before spending quite a few $ on a "new" tool. I think I'll buy more fabric instead !
View My TQS Profile
idaho

Postby sugarmuffin57 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Rosemary, I love your inovative ideas. I will get some inexpensive hoops and try that. I am just not good at machine quilting and keep looking for that miracle that will make me good. :)
I don't want to spend that kind of money though. I think the reason there are not really any reviews is because everyone else thinks they are too much money too. I could see $50, but over $100? Wow!
Thank you Rosemary and Marilyn for the suggestions.
View My TQS Profile
sugarmuffin57

Postby idaho » Wed May 23, 2012 1:14 pm

karen...I'm not so good either...but somebody said the only way to get better is P,P and P ! You can guess what that means !
That's what I do these days and I try really had not to be my own worst critic !
View My TQS Profile
idaho

Postby PosyP » Thu May 24, 2012 1:28 am

Sound like it is time to make vast quanties of practice piece table mats, and then move onto practice piece AAQI mini quilts. :wink:

Just had another thought - how about using washable thread in the bobbin of your practice sandwich,then you could just have half a dozen of them that you could keep re-using, if you want to save on fabric &/or don't know what to do with all the practice pieces?

View My TQS Profile
PosyP

Postby sugarmuffin57 » Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 am

Wow Rosmary.......I love the idea of using washable thread for practice.
Now if I can find the time for practice, practice, practice. I have been sidetracked by my shoulder injury but am now able to sew again. Yay!
View My TQS Profile
sugarmuffin57

Postby PosyP » Thu May 24, 2012 6:17 am

Karen - how about 10 -15 minutes a day as part of your shoulder exercise regime? :wink:

View My TQS Profile
PosyP

Postby ritzy » Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Wow Rosemary, you are just popping with inspiration today!
Blessing from Northwest Indiana, USA
View My TQS Profile
ritzy

Postby kathyst2 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, after I had shoulder surgery 8 years ago, after I was able to move some, I foundation pieced a twin sized quilt and then machine quilted it! At first I had to pick up my right hand and place it on the machine bed, where it served as kind of an anchor. As the weeks went by, I really believe that the sewing practice was good therapy, making my recovery quicker and certainly more pleasurable.
kathy
View My TQS Profile
kathyst2

Postby sugarmuffin57 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm

I tried to sew some in the beginning and had to do pretty much the same thing. Now I have much more control of my arm but not full range of motion.
I did a small baby quilt today with stitch in the ditch. Went pretty fast with my new walking foot. I went for the easy way out.
I will be practicing if I can get in there without too many distractions.
View My TQS Profile
sugarmuffin57

Return to This and That (Quilting Related)