Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

Previous

820/830 tension upgrade

Re: 820/830 tension upgrade

Postby JudithA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 am

Does anyone know if there are any videos on how to use the new hook cleaning tool in the new accessory kit for the 830? I couldn't find any on the Bernina website yesterday.
I have the new accessory kit, but my dealer hasn't tried the new hook cleaning tool yet. I am not going to poke that hook cleaning tool into my bobbin case without some fairly good instruction.

Last night I was doing a feather stitch, with the D foot and and dual feed engaged, quilting a baby quilt for a shower today. I couldn't finish it. I had a terrible time with thread getting caught under the throat plate. I would clean out all the thread I could see, and try again, and the same thing would happen. I was using YLI polyester embroidery thread. I tried re-threading, new needles (including quilting, embroidery, universal and microtex), size 11 and size 14 needles. I would start sewing again and it would jam right away. I took out the YLI and tested it with Superior's MasterPiece. Same problem.
It would jam everytime for awhile, and then magically start sewing like a dream for 20 minutes, and then go back to jamming. Aauurgh! My best guess is that thread gets caught somewhere that I can't see.

Judy
View My TQS Profile
JudithA

Postby Libbi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:57 am

I haven't found a video either but just held my breath and followed the instructions. Some days I do not think the new bobbin assembly is worth the extra bobbin thread it provides. The vast majority of my sewing problems are related to the bobbin. I even think that the bobbin tension slips while sewing and my perfect stitch ends ups with the bobbin thread in a straight line. UGH!! She's due to go in for servicing soon.
Your problem does sound as if there is a thread caught somewhere. I had my DH help me put my 830 on its side in order to get a good view of the bobbin assembly with a bright light and a magnifying glass. Found some threads lodged in the assembly. It took some work with a needle nosed tweezers to get them out. Good Luck

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland
View My TQS Profile
Libbi

Postby bunny9 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:34 am

OK
So this is what was happening to me before you got the kits & we still haven't even been given ours yet. I was hoping that the kits would solve this problem. Libbi, I have found that installing that portable bright light you recommended really helps to see into the bobbin area; that and a very good small flashlight. I'll bet that I can take the throat plate off faster that the tech does. At the first sign of trouble I now take everything apart or I know I am in for a long night. Do you find threads get caught in the little hingy thing on the left side all the time? I have a devil of a time getting them out. :cry:
View My TQS Profile
bunny9

Postby JudithA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 am

Do you find threads get caught in the little hingy thing on the left side all the time? I have a devil of a time getting them out. :cry:[/quote]

Yes! I told my dealer that the thread usually gets caught on that little triangular thingy, and he said that is the thread cutter.

Judy
View My TQS Profile
JudithA

Postby bunny9 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Thanks Judy that makes sense
View My TQS Profile
bunny9

Previous

Return to Bernina Corner