Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

Glitter thread and the 830

Glitter thread and the 830

Postby jasheeler » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:51 pm

I picked up my Big Girl Machine (830) on the weekend and want to quilt a wallhanging with Superiors Glitter thread. I have Bottom Line in the bobbin.
I can't get th BGM and the glitter thread to play together. :roll:
Anyone used this thread in the 830? Should I just switch back to the 440? Help? :lol:
Last edited by jasheeler on Wed May 04, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
View My TQS Profile
jasheeler

Re: Glitter thread and the 830

Postby Lorchen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Contact the folks at Superior and ask them, seeing that you are using their threads - top and bottom.
From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood
View My TQS Profile
Lorchen

Postby jasheeler » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:19 pm

Took my project, thread and bobbin and went to my LQS yesterday and I think we figured it out. Apparently, even though I was using the right size of needle and the type that is recommended, a different type works better with the flat threads. If you are using Bernina needles the suffix is SUK. My LQS owner said that these were recommended to her by a someone who has worked with Bernina's for 20+ years.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
View My TQS Profile
jasheeler

Postby Sewdreamy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Oh I'm glad to hear that. I have trouble even with my Bernina 730 (Victoria) using glitter thread. I usually use it on my older 1230 machine (Betsy). I had tried some different kinds of needles but never was able to get Victoria completely happy with glitter threads.
"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
View My TQS Profile
Sewdreamy

Postby jojojo » Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am

I haven't tried Glitter thread on my 820 but Bernina recently gave all 820/830 owners a free accessory kit. This kit has an attachment for metallic threads that allows for it to feed out longer off the spool before going into the machine AND it includes sew ease (a solution) with applicator - additional part that goes on the attachment.

Have all you 820/830 owners received your kit?
View My TQS Profile
jojojo

Postby cjbeg » Wed May 04, 2011 4:42 pm

I have a Viking, and just tried both Glitter and Metallic using Bottom line and 90/14 needle. The Metallic needed a 2.5 tension on my machine, and the Glitter ended up being a 1.6. It took a little tweaking before finding the right combination on my machine and in the end it looks really pretty.
View My TQS Profile
cjbeg

Postby kmouse » Thu May 05, 2011 6:24 am

I belive the SUK letters stand for a ball point or stretch needle. This has been interesting because Diane Gaudynski posted something about it of a particular issue with skipped stitches with a certain batting/fabric combination. Can't remember now what that was. My memory (?) seems to recall that the round needle made a hole big enough for the thread to go through and make a proper stitch. Maybe that is what is happening here.

Certainly justifies a large needle stash!

Congrats on your new 830!

Kim
View My TQS Profile
kmouse

Postby EditorAnne » Fri May 06, 2011 3:57 am

kmouse wrote:I belive the SUK letters stand for a ball point or stretch needle. This has been interesting because Diane Gaudynski posted something about it of a particular issue with skipped stitches with a certain batting/fabric combination. Can't remember now what that was. My memory (?) seems to recall that the round needle made a hole big enough for the thread to go through and make a proper stitch. Maybe that is what is happening here.

Certainly justifies a large needle stash!

Congrats on your new 830!

Kim

Kim, I got curious and googled "Diane Gaudynski skipped stitches metallic thread," and up came a blog post at http://dianegaudynski.blogspot.com/2010 ... abric.html that said an SUK (ballpoint) needle helps prevent skipped stitches with metallic threads. She says the ballpoint makes a larger hole than a sharp needle, which reduces the friction on the thread as it goes through the hole. Makes sense to me!
in Vancouver, Canada
View My TQS Profile
EditorAnne

Postby kmouse » Fri May 06, 2011 6:14 am

Holy Mackeral! Thanks for the link. So much information, so fast, about anything.

I love Google.

....I think. LOL

Kim
View My TQS Profile
kmouse

Return to Bernina Corner