Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

BOM fabric SOS !!!

BOM fabric SOS !!!

Postby 911kitchen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm

I am having issues. If I don't make up my mind soon I will be making january's block in december. I was thinking all blues and whites. Then I came across this rose and beige. I really want it to be different but I just can't make up my mind. I also have these really pretty pastels with butterflies and dragonflies on them that would look so pretty. See what I keep doing?
HELP :!: :!:
View My TQS Profile
911kitchen

Postby mandysilk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:40 pm

You could try my color approach Racheal - I'm doing more than one :lol: Seriously though I am doing one straight from my stash so I will have the really scrappy look, the other is planned to match the colors in my new bedroom- cream, olive green, and brown. (Now I just have to kick DH in the tail to get the room finished before I finish the quilt) Also if I have enough fabric left in the stash I might try doing the alternate blocks too as a scrappy quilt for a different look. Wahoo - three for the price of one, lol.
View My TQS Profile
mandysilk

Postby 911kitchen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:30 am

I was thinking about doing the easier one with primary colors with a black background. I thought that would look really different and my oldest son would love it.
View My TQS Profile
911kitchen

Playing with monochromatic schemes

Postby Rhodylady » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:00 am

I was having problems deciding on colors too... until I decided to limit my choices. I decided I'd use just one color, and a background color. So the idea is something like - use all shades of browns and 1 background. Or all shades of teal and 1 background.

I played a bit in Photoshop and made some pretty simplistic examples, but I've posted them in my profile. There's a green, blue, raspberry and purple.

I CALL THE BLUES!! LOL - no one else can use blues!
View My TQS Profile
Rhodylady

Postby sandytn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 am

I like your browns because I think they are so pretty.
View My TQS Profile
sandytn

BOM Fabric SOS !!

Postby sewengel » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 am

Nice to hear I'm not the only one having a hard time deciding on fabric Rachel. Although the scrappy look is starting to appeal to me, but might make a batik one. Oh brother, I still can't decide. LOL

Sharon in windy Colo
View My TQS Profile
sewengel

Postby Judymc » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:38 am

I thought I was going to do mine in Civil War fabrics, but after auditioning several fabrics for a couple of days, it just didn't "feel" right. Now I'm going to try Autumn colors. I'm also going to use Marsha McCloskey's feathered star method--I hate paper piecing. The quilt would look spectacular in blue & white, too. I've got several blue & white quilts, so I think I'll go with Autumn (my favorite season!).
View My TQS Profile
Judymc

Postby maggieszafranski » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:13 am

Judy, I think that would look spectacular in autumn colors!
Rachel, the only advice I can give you is to pay attention to your values. If you don't get a nice contrast in some of these pieces, you are not going to get a good appreciation of the detail.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois
View My TQS Profile
maggieszafranski

Postby mandysilk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am

OOHHH! Autumn colors will be gorgious!!
View My TQS Profile
mandysilk

Postby Lorna1021 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:54 pm

I have also had a hard time deciding what colors to use for this quilt. (Plus I am still working on Dec of 08 BOM!) I decided to go with blue and white. I think I will use the Cherrywood fabrics. The bundle has 8 shades of blue and then I will add the white. I just need to calculate how much fabric I need so I can order.
Lorna
View My TQS Profile
Lorna1021

Postby she-quilts » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:26 am

Lorna1021 wrote:I have also had a hard time deciding what colors to use for this quilt. (Plus I am still working on Dec of 08 BOM!) I decided to go with blue and white. I think I will use the Cherrywood fabrics. The bundle has 8 shades of blue and then I will add the white. I just need to calculate how much fabric I need so I can order.
Lorna

Oh yummy!! The Cherrywood fabrics in blue & white would be delish!! :D

Joyce, who wavers between scrappy out of my stash or just buy the kit! :roll:
View My TQS Profile
she-quilts

Return to Selecting Fabrics