Login

Daily BlogWatch ShowsAlex & RickyBOMClassroomsThe ForumContestsFeaturesProjectsQuilt GalleryShoppeHelpMy Account

Next

preventing thread from unraveling

preventing thread from unraveling

Postby Nikkih1288 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi All-

I am hoping someone can help me. Does anyone have ideas for storing thread so it does not unravel??? I am going to get a thread holder <the> but how do I keep the ends from coming unraveled????

Thanks
Nikki
View My TQS Profile
Nikkih1288

Postby Margo » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Nikki, depending on the type thread you are using, there may a way to lock the thread on the end of the spool. Check your Superior thread spools like King Tut, Bottom Line, Razzle Dazzle and MasterPiece. The end caps on them will snap off and you can lay the end of your thread over it and snap the end cap back on to hold it in place. Some of the other threads like Mettler have a place at one end of the spool to just slide your thread into. I wish all manufacturers would do stuff like that!
View My TQS Profile
Margo

Postby Nikkih1288 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Thank you for your reply. I figured that out after posting...... boy do I feel dumb lol.
View My TQS Profile
Nikkih1288

unraveling thread

Postby snowplow3840 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:49 pm

I love the spools that Superior thread has where you can tuck the end of the thread in and lock it down. But if you are using a thread that doesn't have that system, there are "thread socks" --kind of a plastic mesh that you can cut into various lengths depending on the size of your spool. I use those on threads that like to unravel easily. I also have a case that was designed for screws and nails etc. in the work shop. It has five trays, three large ones and two smaller ones. My thread that is stored in there does not unravel nearly as quickly as that that I have stored in the open because nothing is brushing against it and it is not rolling around anywhere. Ann is sunny, hot Texas.
View My TQS Profile
snowplow3840

Re: unraveling thread

Postby Rorimer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:05 am

snowplow3840 wrote: But if you are using a thread that doesn't have that system, there are "thread socks" --kind of a plastic mesh that you can cut into various lengths depending on the size of your spool. I use those on threads that like to unravel easily.

Ann, I am intrigued by the "thread socks" you mentioned. Do you know where we can get those?

JoAnne
View My TQS Profile
Rorimer

Postby maggieszafranski » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 am

I use a bit of blue painter's tape to tame those loose ends on cones that don't have slots for holding the ends. I always keep a roll in my sewing room.

Maggie in E. Central Illinois
View My TQS Profile
maggieszafranski

Postby NancyAnn1959 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:47 am

The new and improved Coats and Clark thread also has the tops that open to hold the thread ends.

I use the mesh on my large cone spools since they don't have any place to hold the thread end.

On occasion, I've put a small plastic bag over the spool and held it with a rubber band.

I've also heard of wrapping a small piece of cling wrap around a spool.

Sunny and finally warmer in western NY. Nancy
View My TQS Profile
NancyAnn1959

Postby ritzy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 pm

AND when all else fails--go to the hardware store and buy some vinyl table covering. It is not too expensive and you can cut it in strips to go around you thread for sewing--it sticks to itself so you don't have to worry about any adhesive on your thread.
View My TQS Profile
ritzy

Postby Margo » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:05 pm

I'm glad you posted that, Ritzy! I had heard that tip before, but never tried it. I have some vinyl that I'll cut up tomorrow!! WHOO-HOO!
View My TQS Profile
Margo

Spool coverings

Postby CarolinaGirl » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 am

I have also been told that you can use the netting that comes over roses when they are delivered to pull over your cones or you can use the cut & seal plastic wrap - just cut the size you need.
View My TQS Profile
CarolinaGirl

Postby Margo » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:38 pm

I'll remember that the next time I get roses..... :?
View My TQS Profile
Margo

Postby kfstitcher » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:22 pm

I was watching a video online somewhere yesterday and the lady on it said she uses a finger bandage type gauze that is a tube to keep her thread from coming off the spool. She just cut off pieces from the roll of gauze. Sorry I can't remember who it was and I haven't tried this yet but I thought it was interesting anyway. Karen
View My TQS Profile
kfstitcher

thread socks

Postby snowplow3840 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:55 pm

JoAnne, the thread socks I bought are labeled that and are available at Hancock's here. I have also gotten them at JoAnne's and I think they are available at some quilt shops. Hope you can find them, they are great. Ann
View My TQS Profile
snowplow3840

Re: preventing thread from unraveling

Postby Sasky » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I use a product called Marathon Incredible Tape. Comes on a 50 ft roll for around $11.00 CAD. It has static cling, no glue, 1-1/4 inches wide and is reusable. A 5" piece fits nicely around the Robison Anton spool with a little overlap for it to stick to itself. Many more uses described on the packaging. I love it!!
View My TQS Profile
Sasky

Re: preventing thread from unraveling

Postby grandmanina » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:28 pm

I use Hugo's amazing reuseable tape, It came on a 50 foot roll and is 1" wide - I have cut strips from it (less wide) to fit on bobbins as well. I purchased it from a LQS about 3 or more years ago, I'm still on that first roll and it lasts cause it is easy to reuse.
View My TQS Profile
grandmanina

Next

Return to Threads and Embellishments